I was driving by my neighbor’s house when I saw this little cutie sitting on the street to be picked up by the garbage men. Wha-what?!? I put on the brakes, backed the car up and threw this baby in the backseat.She had a few issues I needed to fix. First there was this long crack along the front of the seat. Secondly, the cane was coming loose. Thirdly, I felt like she needed a coat of paint.
I added some blue paint from my dining room to a bit of the chalk paint I used in Mary Claire’s bedroom redo.
I dry brushed the top of the chair to highlight the flowers. The key here is to use very, very little paint. Barely tap the brush in the paint, then swirl the brush around on a paper towel before stroking on piece.
After painting, I rubbed on a coat of clear wax. Again, my impatience showed itself when I didn’t allow the pain to fully dry. Give myself 20 minutes to allow the paint to dry? Oh no. Old Mar has to start rubbing and take some paint off. Geez. But I decided I liked that distressed look. Yea! That’s what I meant to do! Anyway…time to put a seat on this girl. I did a kindergarten basket weave with belt webbing. (Looking at the finished product now, I wish I had gotten the off white cotton webbing, instead of the bright white nylon. It already looks dirty in places from my hands working it. Oh well.)
One should use a staple gun for attaching the webbing to the chair. Because I am not only impatient, I am also very messy! Things don’t always get put back where they should, so I waste sooo much time looking for things. I couldn’t find the staple gun. I used the next best thing
glue gun hammer and nails. (I wish I could have used a glue gun!) I hate to think that my hammering skills are so bad, so the excuse for the bottom looking so bad is because…umm….the hammer got really heavy, the wood was really, really hard and … Ummm, the space to hammer was so small. (Are you buying it? Naah…me either.) I’m just bad at hammering. That’s why half of the nails are bent and sticking out everywhere. I think I’ll hot glue some ribbon over the nails to make it look pretty. Good thing this is all underneath the seat.
Lastly, I nailed decorative trim around the sides of the chair seat. Again, my hammering skills were getting on my nerves. I can’t tell you how many tacks I ruined by hammering them into a bent shape. I was getting a bit worried that I wasn’t going to have enough tacks, so I went back to the store to buy more, only to discover they had one pack left. Ugh. I really had to be more careful. Well, it turned out I had just enough. Because I was hammering away on an old, wonky card table, every time I pounded down everything on the table went flying around. When I stopped and sorta cleaned up a bit, I noticed a few tacks had bounced to the floor and I even had one lodged in the bottom of my shoe. Those few extras were perfect for replacing the tacks I had put in crooked and out of line.
Thanks for dropping by!