One day he says to me, “I’m going to buy me a barn quilt. Do you know what they are?” Yes, I do! I love them! But don’t buy it, I’ll make us one! “But I don’t know how to make it. It’s way too difficult.” Pshaw. Honey, I can do it. In fact, I’ll make one for your birthday!Do you know what we’re talking about? They are paintings on the side of barns that look like quilts.We saw many of them as we drove through the Northeast.Here is a link to Barn Quilt Tours all over the United States. As you can see they can be simple or very intricate. After scrolling through hundreds of photos, I decided on this pattern. Simple, yet enough pattern and color to make it look interesting.I gathered my materials and started priming the wood.Grabbed my circular saw to cut the plywood down to size and my sander to smooth it out the best I could.With a pencil and ruler, I drew out the design. Being a fabric quilter, I love seeing the patterns intersect and weave together. I put a bit of blue tape on the areas I did not want to paint yellow.After letting it dry, (which let me say is probably the hardest part), I pulled the painters tape off to reveal a beautiful crisp line. Woo Hoo!Ok. Yellow is done. Now I need to mark off where the green color will go.Remember what I said about me not having the patience to wait for the paint to dry? Ugh.
I moved the production indoors, due to it being around 40* outside. Paint just won’t dry at that temperature. Crickeys!! I’ve really got to pay attention!After several days of painting, waiting and painting some more, it was all done. Wellll….is it really all done? Superman wanted our initial in the middle. What about some bees? I used my Cricut machine to cut a bee motif out of black paper so I could move them around.Bees in the corners? Or do they look better in the white area? In the end, I decided to just keep it simple by painting our initial. Thank goodness for strong men to put this bad boy up! Of course, Elizabeth and I were a huge “help” holding ladders and giving unsolicited advice.😁
Seriously though, I had no idea how heavy this thing would be after we put the 2×4 braces on the back. Originally, I had it measured out to be a 6×6 foot quilt. Then Superman came home and said he thought a 5×5 would be better. Thank goodness I cut made it a 5×5 footer! There is no way a larger size would fit. Bobby, our friend who lives next door to the farm, asked if maybe next time I make one of these to make sure he was out of town on installation day. (Aww, he’s such a kidder. He loves being on a 20 foot ladder holding onto a 100 lb. wood piece!)Dang! That looks awesome!Here it is five months later. It’s showing some wear and weather abuse. I’m ok with that. I think it still looks pretty cool.I wonder when Superman is going to learn that he should never say it can’t be done. I’m always willing to give it a good creative try!
Thanks for dropping by!